Posted on 1/20/2013

When you discover a home water leak, whether big or small, it may be difficult to know what to do next. Water leaks can happen over a long period of time or all at once. In either case, leaks result in wasted water and higher utility bills each month. When you suspect your home may have a leak, it’s important to either check your home yourself or hire professional plumbing services right away.

Facade moisture

Turn Off Water Supply to Appliances: Turn off the water supply to all of your home’s appliances and fixtures. In addition, turn off outdoor sprinkler valves so you can ensure that no water is running inside your home.

Check Water Meter for Activity: Once indoor and outdoor water flows are turned off, check your outdoor meter. If there is any movement on the meter, you have a leak in your home’s main water line.

Turn Off Home Water Supply: As soon as you discover a leak, you can turn off all water to your home. This will prevent water from being wasted while also stopping any potential damage from flooding.

Locate Leak: If your main water line is not the source of the leak, it’s time to inspect your home’s fixtures to find the source of the water leak. You can check your toilet, under your sinks, and follow the source of drips or floods. This information will help the plumbing company solve your leak more quickly and cheaply.

Clean Up Excess Water: If these is any excess flood water in your home, clean it up right away to avoid damage and mold growth. If you can’t get the area completely dry, talk to your plumbing company about water remediation.

Call a Plumber: Professional plumbing services can clean up your home and resolve a leak effectively the first time. Call a plumbing company as soon as you discover a water leak in your home.

If you are experiencing a water leak in your home, call a Libertyville plumbing company right away. At Arrow Plumbing, Inc., we have more than 15 years of experience solving commercial and residential plumbing problems. You can schedule an appointment by calling (847) 549-9600.