Posted on 9/8/2016

Most of the time, the pipes in your apartment function normally and without incident. However, pipes are not without their potential problems; freezing and bursting, for example, which can result in thousands in water damage. Apartment complex owners and managers are ultimately responsible for repairing frozen pipes, but there are times when tenants bear some responsibility. Read on to determine whether you’re responsible for frozen pipes and when it’s appropriate to call a Libertyville plumber.

When Tenants Are Responsible

Different leases and rental agreements include different terms, which makes it difficult to come up with a definitive answer to the question posed above. If the pipes freeze and burst as a result of the tenant’s recklessness or irresponsibility, then he or she may be held responsible. The landlord is rarely responsible for damage to personal items within the apartment.

When the Apartment Complex Is Responsible

Landlords are responsible for all problems that arise within the apartment itself, and frozen pipes are no exception. After all, their tenant pay rent so the landlord will take care of plumbing problems, electrical problems, and any other issues that may arise. A responsible landlord should anticipate the possibility of frozen pipes and work with the tenants to ensure that the plumbing remains in good shape.

How to Avoid Frozen Pipes

Frozen pipes are easy to avoid. Landlords must ensure that at-risk pipes have the proper insulation, and tenants must make sure that the temperature inside their apartments are above 60 degrees or so. It’s also a good idea to leave the cabinet doors below the sinks open and to allow the faucet to drip in order to keep the water moving. This is particularly important when tenants go out of town and the temperature outside is expected to drop below freezing.

Whether you’re currently dealing with frozen pipes or wish to avoid them, the team at Arrow Plumbing, Inc. can help. We can repair broken pipes, replace water heaters, maintain sump pumps, and perform many other services. Call (847) 984-3258 to speak with a Libertyville representative.